14/02/2023 0 Comments
Chair Upholstery: All Your Questions Asked
As one of Ireland's most established and experienced upholstery companies, we have reupholstered hundreds of chairs. Our experience extends to sitting room chairs, dining room chairs, etc. Inevitably our clients have questions about our chair upholstery services. Therefore, for the convenience of all our clients, we have compiled some of the most common questions below. Please get in touch with us today if you have more enquiries regarding your upholstery needs.
How are chairs upholstered?
The process of upholstering a chair typically involves the following steps:
- Disassembly: The first step is to disassemble the chair and remove any old upholstery.
- Frame preparation: The next step is to clean, repair, and prepare the frame for the new upholstery. This may include sanding, staining, painting the frame, and repairing any loose joints or broken parts.
- Padding: Once the frame is prepared, foam padding is typically added to the seat and back of the chair to provide a comfortable surface to sit on.
- Cutting the fabric: The fabric for the upholstery is then measured and cut to the proper size and shape, taking into account the contours of the chair and any seams or pleats that may be required.
- Staple gun: The fabric is then attached to the frame using a staple gun. The fabric is first stretched and stapled along the front edge of the seat, then along the sides, and finally along the back.
- Tack strip: A tack strip, which is a strip of wood covered in small tacks, is then attached to the frame around the edge of the seat to hold the fabric in place.
- Final touches: Finally, any buttons or tufting are added to the seat and back, and any additional trim or accents are added to complete the upholstery.
The specific steps and materials used in upholstering a chair may vary depending on the style and design of the chair.
What are the advantages of chair upholstery?
There are several advantages to upholstering a chair, including:
- Comfort: Upholstering a chair can add comfort and cushioning, making it more comfortable to sit in for long periods.
- Style: Upholstery allows you to choose the fabric, colour, and pattern that best suits your style and the decor of your room. This allows you to personalise the look of your chair and make it a unique statement piece.
- Protection: Upholstery can protect the chair frame and padding from wear and tear, extending the chair's life.
- Cost savings: Upholstering a chair can be less expensive than buying a new one, especially if the frame is in good condition.
- Increased resale value: An upholstered chair in good condition can be worth more than an unupholstered one, making it a good investment.
- Improved air quality: Upholstery can trap allergens and other pollutants in the air, improving the air quality in your home.
- Customisation: Upholstering a chair allows you to customise it to fit your specific needs and preferences, such as adding lumbar support or adjusting the seat height.
Overall, upholstering a chair has many benefits that can make it a worthwhile investment, whether you want to add comfort, style, or protection to your home furnishings.
What is the average price of reupholstering a chair?
The average cost of reupholstering a chair in Ireland can vary widely depending on several factors, including the type of chair, the fabric and the materials used. We can provide you with a full quote for the unique chair upholstery you require.
Is it cheaper to buy a new chair or reupholster?
Whether it is cheaper to buy a new chair or reupholster an old one depends on various factors, including the cost of the new chair and the cost of reupholstering, as well as the quality and condition of the existing chair.
If the existing chair is in good condition and of high quality, reupholstering it may be a more cost-effective option than buying a new one, especially if the cost of a new one is significantly higher. The price of reupholstering can also be lower than the cost of a new chair if you can find a good deal on fabric and materials.
However, if the current chair is in poor condition and not worth reupholstering, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a new chair.
In general, it's best to consider both options' overall cost, quality, and condition before making a decision.
As stated, if you have further questions about our chair upholstery services, please get in touch with a team of experts.